Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Days 159 to 172 - Second Draft - Complete!

I have worked so hard over the last few weeks, all I really want to do is curl up and fall asleep! But instead I sit and pretend to write while I'm really chatting to people on the Romance Writers of Australia forum :-)

The 5DI competition entries closed last week. I took two days off work to get my entry done in time, but even then I was pushing it. Not to mention that I stuffed up and sent the wrong file through when I did enter! That was a bit of a nightmare - I accidentally sent in the draft where my henchman was still called by his placeholder name of Genghis!

Nevertheless, I got a lot of writing done and I'm really happy with it. If I don't get into the 5DI (the more likely scenario) then I'll just do a third draft, a polish and start sending it through to agents. Either way, it's going to be a very exciting second half of the year!

At the moment I'm working on a Regency romance between a woman in debtor's prison and one of the guards. It's really started well, but I'm rapidly approaching the part where I'm going to have to start winging it. That's fine - sometimes I write absolute gold when I have no idea what happens next. Sometimes, however, it just means I have to rewrite half the novel in the second draft!

Word count - 28,169 FTW :-)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! A finished draft is a wonderful thing - even if it's the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! Occassionally I feel like I'm not doing enough, then I remind myself that on September 3 last year, before I started this whole thing, I had nothing at all but some plans and a couple of unfinished NaNo novels. Now I've got two drafts - all I need is more time! :-)

    ReplyDelete