Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Days 90 - 94 - When is a Failure not a Failure?

I had a five year plan. The first year was meant to be just solid writing - the idea being that I would have a solid base of work to build on come year two.

There have been a couple of problems with this - the main one being that I never see my husband any more. The secondary problem being that I'm dying to start editing my first ever completed novel (I know - I'm weird ^_^) and I don't have time if I'm writing 3000+ words per day!

So I've decided to cut back my word count goal. This was a very hard decision for me - I felt like I'd let myself down, that I'd failed.

But the goal isn't, as my wonderful Dad reminded me, an arbitrary number. It's to work as a published author. And if I want to make it my life, then making balance a habit is going to do me much more good in the long run than focussing all my energy on only one aspect of the craft.

So my new goal is to write 1,000,000 words over two years - to make 500,000 in my first year I only have to write a very manageable 1,305 words per day. That will give me plenty of time for editing, playing Assassin's Creed 2 and teaching my toddler to read.

My quote a day calendar at work has been eerily accurate this year. The day I made this decision, it had this to say:

“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”


Word Count - 0

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with that!!! Make sure they're a million good words

    ReplyDelete