Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 8 - Ooh, something shiny!

When I told my husband I was going to write every day, he asked me whether I wanted him to be the bad cop and make sure I didn't get distracted by Facebook, Twitter, my email, YouTube etc by changing all my passwords. 


I did think about it. After all, lots of writers give the advice that you should make sure your writing time is free of distractions. If you want to make a living off writing, they say, it has to be your job. It's a solitary job, but block out your precious writing time and sit down and write to the exclusion of all else. It may be the fact that I have ADD, but that just isn't me. I love interacting with people, reading what they're doing and responding. It makes me happy, and I write better when I'm happy. 


So yes, it may take me longer to write the same amount of words, but the quality of my work is better. And working full-time and writing part-time leaves me with little enough time to catch up with my friends as it is. I suppose for any writer the best motto is temet nosce - know thyself. Take the time to find out what works for you as a writer and your writing time is bound to be happier and more productive as a result. 


Speaking of productivity, today's word count was 3,097! I finally cracked the 1%, huzzah!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Julia, great job. Gonna be following you now - so keep up the daily stuff. I know you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete